This page presents an informal, emerging aggregation of various modeling tools. To explore a similar aggregation of prepared model packaages, visit the tools/models page.
OpenStudio - plugin for the Google SketchUp 3D drawing program to create and edit the building geometry for EnergyPlus input files.
* 3D Canvas - 3D modeling and animation tool in a freeware version, or in enterprise versions (3D Canvas Plus and 3D Canvas Pro).
* Anim8or -3D rendering and animation package.
* Art of Illusion
* AutoQ3D Community -- for beginners who want to make rapid 3D designs.
* Blender (Blender Foundation) - 3D studio for animation, modeling, rendering, and texturing offering a feature set comparable to commercial 3D animation suites.
* Cheetah3D - aimed at amateur 3D artists with some medium- and high-end features
* DAZ Studio - 3D rendering tool set for adjusting parameters of preexisting models, posing and rendering in 3D environments. Imports objects created in Poser.
* DX Studio - integrated development environment for creating interactive 3D graphics with real-time 3D engine and a suite of editing tools in a single IDE.
* Evolver - portal for 3D computer characters incorporating a human builder and a picture cloner.
* FaceGen - source of human face models for other programs. Generate face models randomly or from input photographs.
* Geist3D - real-time modeling and rendering three-dimensional graphics and animations.
* GPure is a software to prepare scene/meshes from digital mockup to multiple uses
* K-3D i- modeling, animation, and rendering system available on Linux and Win32 woth RenderMan-compliant render engines and scene graph procedural modelling.
* MakeHuman - generates 3D parametric humanoids.
* MeshLab - Windows, Linux and Mac OS X application for visualizing, simplifying, processing and converting large three dimensional meshes to or from a variety of 3D file formats.
* Moment of Inspiration focusing on simplicity and ease-of-use for Tablet PCs.
* NaroCAD - extensible 3D parametric modeling CAD application based on the concept of parametric modeling of solids.
* OpenFX - modeling and animation studio.
* Seamless3d NURBS based modelling and animation software with much of the focus on creating avatars optimized for real time animation.
* trueSpace (Caligari Corporation) - 3D program for Windows, features modeling, animation, 3D-painting, and rendering capabilities.
* Wings 3D - BSD-licensed, subdivision modeler.
Fast Artificial Neural Network Library (FANN) implements multilayer artificial neural networks in C. It is cross-platform, easy to use, versatile, well documented and fast. C++, PHP, PERL, Python, Delphi, .NET, Mathematica bindings and a GUI is available
Flood, a comprehensive implementation of the multilayer perceptron neural network in the C++ programming language, provides an effective framework for the research and development of neural networks algorithms and applications. It includes several objective functionals and training algorithms, as well as different utilities for the solution of a wide range of problems.
Opensourcephysics a suite of accessible Java-based simulation tools geared toward educational environments and those with little programming knowledge.
Virtual Grower a decision support tool for greenhouse growers. Users can build a greenhouse with a variety of materials for roofs and sidewalls, design the greenhouse style, schedule temperature set points throughout the year, and predict heating costs for over 230 sites within the US. Different heating and scheduling scenarios can be predicted with few inputs.
Models-3 - a third generation air quality modeling system that contains a variety of tools to perform research and analysis of critical environmental questions and problems.
WorldWind - SDK enables embedding of NASA WorldWind technology in Java apps
OpenSimulator open source multi-platform, multi-user 3D application server. It can be used to create a virtual environment (or world) which can be accessed through a variety of clients, on multiple protocols.
Artoolkit software library for building Augmented Reality (AR) applications. These are applications that involve the overlay of virtual imagery on the real world
PTAM camera tracking system for augmented reality. It requires no markers, pre-made maps, known templates, or inertial sensors
ARTag an "Augmented Reality" system where virtual objects, games, and animations appear to enter the real world
Agent-based Modeling software:
breve - build 3D simulations of multi-agent systems and artificial life. Uses Python, or a simple scripting language called steve, define the behaviors of agents in a 3D world and observe how they interact. breve includes physical simulation and collision detection to simulate realistic creatures, and an OpenGL display engine to visualize simulated worlds.
Cougaar - Java-based architecture for the construction of highly scalable distributed agent-based applications. It is the product of a multi-year DARPA research project to develop an open-source agent-based architecture that supports applications ranging from small-scale systems to large-scale highly-survivable distributed systems.
Jade - simplifies the implementation of multi-agent systems through a middle-ware that complies with the FIPA specifications and through a set of graphical tools that supports the debugging and deployment phases. The agent platform can be distributed across machines (which not even need to share the same OS) and the configuration can be controlled via a remote GUI.
repast - tightly integrated, richly interactive, cross platform Java-based modeling system that runs under Microsoft Windows, Apple Mac OS X, and Linux. It supports the development of extremely flexible models of interacting agents for use on workstations and small computing clusters.
Wade - a software platform based on JADE that provides support for the execution of tasks defined according to the workflow metaphor. The key component of the WADE platform is the WorkflowEngineAgent class that extends the basic Agent class of the JADE library embedding a small and lightweight workflow engine.
GROWlab - toolbox platform proposes novel ideas to make agent-based simulations more effective and illustrates impacts of simulations in the understanding of conflict patterns, and in development and evaluation of policies that affect the way we want to shape our society